Tuesday, May 9, 2017

IBS Field Time Week 3 April 24th-30th


Julie:
Matthew 17:26 “And when he said, “From others,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free.”


In this section, Jesus and Peter are approached by a tax collector who asks Peter if Jesus pays taxes.  Peter answers “yes” and they go on.  But I love the way Jesus turns this into a lesson for Peter.  He asks him if he thinks Kings take taxes from their heirs.  Peter believed that the kings collected taxes from others, and Jesus adds “Then the sons are free.”  I am an heir of the King!  Therefore, I am free and exempt from paying taxes to Him.  The ultimate payment was already made, and that was Jesus Christ.  I am free from having to pay for my sins because I am a child of God.  I do not have to earn my freedom.  I can keep my mouth shut and my body still and I will still be exempt.  And going along with saying that I am a child of God is Matthew 18.  “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”  What is a child?  They are vulnerable with their parents.  They are humble enough to ask their parents for help when they are in need.  And they trust that their parents will protect and comfort them in all situations.  This is the child of God I want to be, and who He wants me to be.  I am thankful to be an heir of God, so my prayer is to have more gratitude in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment