Saturday, March 4, 2017

2/21/17 1 Corinthians 9:22 - To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.

Nick:
This is an attitude of the mind that I should live by no matter where God places me. Freed from all things by Jesus Christ but willfully becoming a servant to all so that some may be saved. Isn’t that what Jesus did? Didn’t he become a servant even to the point of death on a cross to save the world? We have been doing cultural studies in our perspectives classes and this verse really seems to apply to what we have been learning. To be able to reach people in different cultures, we have to be able to adapt to the way they view things. We have to be culturally sensitive. It doesn’t matter if I am here in Guatemala, Africa, or in the states. How is the gospel going to be able to reach someone if I’m on my high horse. If people can’t relate to me and feel comfortable with me, how will I be able to share the good news effectively. If I’m trying to reach someone and they have there guard up because they don’t feel comfortable, they will not be focused on what is being said and the message can’t penetrate. I also run the risk of offending someone or making someone feel inferior if I become weak for the weak. Jesus went through the struggles and suffering for many reasons but one of which is so that he would understand what we go through and so that he could comfort us no matter the situation. I to have gone through the suffering and struggles so that I can relate to these who need Christ. There is power in my weakness. I really believe that God gave me the skills in sales for the sake of the gospel. I learned how to adapt to other people quickly so they felt comfortable enough to hear me. I learned how to read people so that I could relate to them. I think I can apply those skills in becoming all things to all people.

Julie:
Paul is talking about adapting to who he is with in order to bring people closer to Christ. But how is being weak with others being a good leader? I think of Austin. He continues to get in the trenches with us and battle it out. He never acts too strong to pray with a brother or sister. He becomes weak so that he can get on our level and relate. He gets as low as Trent's level of weakness in order to bring him closer to Christ. This reminds me of John 13 when Jesus washes the disciples' feet. Jesus, who was sitting level at the table with them, gets on his knees sitting way below the other disciples. He humbles himself to complete weakness and washes the men's feet. But what I find so intimate about this scene is how he gets back up when he is down and "resumes his place". He came back to sitting with the disciples. He met them where they were. He could have stood over them and to make the statement that they need to wash others' feet, but he didn't. He put himself at the same level as these men and looked them in the eye. How sweet is it when Jesus does that. When I can't continue the phasod of being strong and my shell breaks. And as I'm lying in the floor like a shapeless mess, Jesus lays down with me, looks me in the eye and picks me up. Just like the adulterous woman - he didn't stand over her and tell her how awful she was, nor did he condemn her. Her got down to her level and probably again looked her in the eye before standing up and defending her. Jesus is a king in heaven yet he still lets himself be weakened. And he does this for my salvation. And just like he told the disciples', I cannot have him wash my feet and not turn around and wash others. I am called to lay down on the floor when a brother or sister of mine is down there and I need to look them in the eye and just be weak with them. And just like the story of the adulterous woman, I cannot cast stones at a brother or sister who is down. That would be prideful to think I didn't ever deserve the same punishment. Jesus is such a beautiful example of being weak with us and for us, so we too can go out and be weak with others in hopes to bring them salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment