Saturday, February 11, 2017

Friday February 10, 2017 Psalm 17:15 As for me I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

Nick-
David was contrasting himself to the people who were after him, who’s portion is this life. These were men of the world who were wicked in there ways. Arrogant in there speech and without God. These were people who wanted to kill David. It sounds like it could have been King Saul’s men who were after him. David is scared and terrified for his life. The enemy is out prowling like a lion looking to devour him. But David always knew where he could find refuge. He took shelter in Gods righteousness. David was known for being a man after Gods own heart and I think he saw his Righteousness and his character on a whole different level. He knew the things of this world would never give security. It was only God who could deliver him from the hands of his enemies. David doubted at times but trusted that God was going to deliver him. He trusted his life into Gods hands. In yesterdays devotional, I mentioned how when I woke up, i felt overwhelmed with all that is going on. Whether or not I could handle everything that God is asking of me. And knowing that if Im faithful with what I have now he will give me more and thats overwhelming. On top of that, the enemy tries to have me doubt all of this. I love how David, even though people are literally out to kill him, said that when he awakens he shall be satisfied with the likeness of God, Wow! For me this is such an encouragement. Like David, I can look at the likeness of God in my life and be satisfied. I can look back remember where I was without him and how big of a mess I was. I can think of all the victories God has given. All the chains he has broken. All the bondages I have been freed from, and all the strength he has given me. All this because God is making me more like his son everyday. Even though I am so far from looking like Jesus, I can reflect on where he has brought me from and rejoice in the likeness of him in my life.

Julie-
Lord, please do not let the eyes of my heart turn to the right or the left, but instead be focused on You and Your goodness in my life. I admit, I am easily swayed by the treasures of this world. They shine and dance in front of my face. I impulsely grab them and hold them so close to my heart that I'm not sure where You are. I admit, I hold things of the world too closely at times. I am like David's accuser in this Psalm. So often I find myself on the latter end of this contrast between David and his accuser. But I am asking You, Lord, to help me lay down my worldly idols that so often creep on to Your throne in my heart. Whether I have to learn like Abraham or not, so be it. Whether you uproot it from my heart or gently prune it, please let Your will be done to dwell on the throne of my heart. This is my plea for Your help. I want the idols in my heart to be nothing more than a poured out offering to You. Lord, bring me to my knees, touch my hands and loosen my grip. Let my worldy treasures fall to your feet. I want my eyes fixed on you, Jesus. I want to be like You, to meditate all day and night on your face and to remind me that literally nothing in this world can measure up to the blessings that You have in store for me. This includes what I think is best for me. I want to stay focused on your cross to remember that I deserve literally nothing other than eternal hell. So please, Lord, remove the idols and earthly treasures of my heart. Turn my eyes to You so I can experience real satisfaction that only Your Holy Spirirt can give. Stir in my heart and change the way I feel about any portions this world has to offer me, but instead rejoice in the abundance I will have in heaven. The gifts from You are to remind me that You are Lord of all. Please, help my heart from idolizing your gifts, but instead let those gifts be a vehicle that brings me back to Your feet to lay it down and glorify You.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment