Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Friday January 27, 2017 Ephesians 5:15-17

Nick-

When I woke up this morning, the reality of everything that is happening in my life came into perspective. What God has called me to and is asking of me. The thought of living in a different country is uncharted territory. I have no idea what I have gotten myself into, but God does. From my perspective, I can only see myself from where I have come from to where I am now. To me in my own strength, historically, I am not capable or qualified of doing what He is asking of me. God doesn’t see it that way. He knows what I’m capable of and what I can handle. God already knows what I’m going to be and that is so comforting to me. I don’t have to rely on my own strength anymore but on his strength sovereignty. But this is a relationship and it takes both sides to make it work. So what is my part in all this during this next season in Guatemala? I read in Ephesians 5:15-16 “Look carefully then how you walk not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of your time, because the days are evil.” I read a book once called The Best Question Ever by Andy Stanley. The question is “what is the wise thing to do?” God has placed me here by his sovereignty and has ordained the circumstances around me. By his grace, he has placed people in my life, married couples who have walked out this lifestyle. Proverbs 15:22 says “Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisors they succeed.” So to walk wisely in this next season for me is to seek the counsel of those god has placed in my life. Not only to seek their counsel, but to seek a relationship with them, to learn from them and to follow their leadership.


Julie-
        This passage is talking about conducting ourselves above reproach.  To not walk unwise or waste time or be foolish, but instead be carefully of how we walk, and using time wisely, and being understanding of God's will.  I feel like verse 10 sums it up well - "and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord".  Here we are now, juggling "wisdom", "time", "God's will", something about "walking carefully" and now we throw in "discernment".  Without knowing where to go and what to do with all of this, I suggest going to the beginning, laying all the spinning plates down, and starting again in the light. Love.  God is love.  This whole section is how to walk out love.  Love comes from the heart and from the heart comes our actions.  How we walk or steward our time or conduct ourselves all comes from the motives of our heart.  Now just like there is a bold line between "walking in faith" and "walking foolishly unprepared", there is a difference in "walking out our heart" and "walking with no connection to the heart".  To "walk out our heart" in the will of the Lord requires crucial skills.  Skills that need time to take root and be nurished and watched over.  Skills like "wisdom"... (picking up that plate to spin), and "discernment", and "good stewardship".  All of a sudden, with love as the main motive of walking, these spinning plates are manageable.  Once we are get to this place, through love and prayer, we start to see that the walk isn't the hard part.  The good walk is the result of good seed planted and dwelled amongst our heart.  Walking out God's will with wisdom is now effortless because the effort was poured into the heart before the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment