Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Friday February 3, 2017 Hebrews 6:12 so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Nick-

So that you may not be sluggish. Verse 8 mentions bearing thorns and thistles and is worthless and near to to being cursed, and its end is to be burned. Thats really heavy stuff. For the past few months until now, felt myself getting complacent and sluggish. God has showed that i have taken my eyes off of Jesus and my spiritual life, and put them on the worldly things. I became more interested in where God was going to take me and how he was going to do it. The promise and vision that god gave me became more important than my relationship with Jesus. These things slowly crept into my heart because I became sluggish. Not to the point of bearing thorns and thistles but far enough to where the Lord was was convicting me. God says to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. He doesn’t tell me to keep ourselves fixed on the promise. He doesn’t need our help to get us there either. If we fix our eyes on the things in the future, we put our relationship with Christ at risk. Also if we don’t focus on where the Lord has us today, we miss what he is trying to teach us. 

Julie-
         God has promised me things in my life that I could not fulfill on my own.  Here Hebrews tells us to not be sluggish but be patient.  I have a hard time finding the balance of being patient and sluggish.  In Exodus 14:14 Moses has led the Isrealites to the sea and he tells them to "...be still, the Lord will fight for you..." (paraphrasing), but in verse 15 God tells Moses "Why do you cry to me? Tll the Isrealities to move forward".  Moses thought that being still and waiting on the Lord was right, but God wanted Moses to keep moving. Then I look at Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God.".  Then Genesis 12:1 "Go to the land I will show you", not "sit still and I'll bring it to you". Often, I find it diffircult for me to discern what I should be doing with my "waiting time".  Sitting still is already difficult for me.  If I'm still, I'm usually asleep.  But this Hebrews verse tells me not to be sluggish.  Maybe I have a fear of being at rest?  Despite that I still have to learn to wait patiently, but effectively. 2 Thessalonians 3:10 says "...For if a man does not work, he shall not eat".  This verse as always frightened me to not have idle hands, but 2 Thessalonians 3:11 says "For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies."  So where is the balance?  Where is the fine line between faith and foolishness?  I want to inherit God's promises and I have faith.  I know that I cannot be effective in my season of sowing if I'm not effective in my season of rest.  I understand not being a busybody and I understand not being sluggish.  When I'm not "go go go", I still have purpose, but I need God's clarity on what that is so I can effectively rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment