Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Monday January 23, 2017  James 3:13-17 
Nick-

       Meekness was an attitude taught and lived out by our Lord Jesus. It is a mindset and heart condition that we are to have as followers of Him. Matthew 5:5 says “Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.” We must not seek to boast about our wisdom. Jesus never once puffed himself up with his wisdom and understanding. Jesus was God incarnate and knew everything there was to know, past, present, and future. “Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:24 Christ was both at the same time, we must seek to imitate that. Am I letting my actions and works speak of my wisdom here among men? My hopes are to  let my works and deeds speak of my wisdom and not my tongue.


Julie-
        In this passage, James is showing us the contrast between worldy wisdom and heavenly wisdom.  He has defined and made bold the line the line between worldly wisdom (foolishness) and heavenly wisdom for those of us who lack knowledge of wisdom.  Verse 14 has the power to grab hold of us and drag us in a hole of darkness.  We become isolated and build alters there.  But, if we keep reading, James is not trying to call us out but to draw us in.  Verse 17 gives us a tool.  That tool is discernment.  I find myself asking these questions as I read and wonder if the wisdom I use is of the world or biblical truth.  1. Are my "wise actions" producing disorder or good fruit?Let's look back at Galatians 5:19-23.  Here we have a black and white picture of the outcomes of worldly wisdom and heavenly wisdom.  If we could just first think of the fruit that could be produced BEFORE we act, we may be able to avoid disorder.  2. Am I focused on self or open to reason?  Immediately, I think of Eve in the garden.  Genesis 3:6 clearly tells us her motives.  She "saw the tree was good" and "it was a delight". "The tree was to be DESIRED".  The focus of her decision was based on self ambition.  God's reason, literally heavenly wisdom, was wiser than her own as we see that Eve's selfish act.  3. Is my heart harboring bitterness or peace?  We look at Cain and Able, Jacob and Esau, Joseph and his brothers, David and Saul, Rebeccah and Leah, the Prodigal son and his brother and so many more, and from them we see the spark that spread the fire.  It was bitterness and jealousy.  So to put the real heart of the matter in perspective, I would like to focus in on my application with a look at Proverbs 9.  This is such a beautiful contrast of the heavenly wisdom and worldly wisdom.  Heavenly wisdom involves skill, sacrifice, and working hands.  Worldy wisdom is easy and lazy.  Heavenly wisdom doesn't settle for crumbs like worldly wisdom.  It takes a seat at the table with God and learns from Him.  James has given us guardrails in this passage to keep us in line with wisdom from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment